webpage assignment

Thursday, September 16, 2010

project 1: multimedia blog




Shaun Mayberry ENG1131 project 1
It was the fourth quarter and the student section began to cheer a chant that I have heard my whole life, “I said it’s great…to be…a Florida gator!” For the first time, I realized what that chant meant. The stadium shook, the sun shined, and excitement and exhilaration filled the air. But it was a long rough road to get to this wonderful place.
At first I was a young and inspired sophomore in community college at ‘Florida community College at Jacksonville.’ My dream was to attend UF the following semester. My hopes were high, and my passion to succeed was elevated. I finished the online process and sent my application. A few months later I walked to the mailbox, like I did every morning in my pajama pants, and peaked inside my small gator designed mailbox. On the very top of the pile of mail was a package from the University of Florida; I froze in the moment. The letter said “sorry but your application to the University of Florida was not accepted.” My heart sank and my throat swelled up. My emotions began to take a toll on me. I fell like a truck had just slammed into my dreams. My entire family attended the University of Florida and I didn’t get in. It was the worst I have ever felt.
But my hope was not gone. I knew that UF was the place for me. So I attended the University of Central Florida in Orlando, and decided I would do whatever it took to transfer to the University of Florida the next semester. A couple of weeks after re-applying to UF, I checked my online gator-link. The first word I saw was “Congratulations.” My eyes widened, my hands raised, and my adrenaline shot sky high. I ran outside of my house in Orlando, looked up and thanked god. I have never been so happy in my life. A few weeks later, my older brother called me to congratulate me, and offered me a ticket to the next Gator game. Again I was so ecstatic. It was like there was a road being laid in front of me. Everything started to fall into place.  The day of the game came, and I made my first appearance on the UF campus as an official University of Florida student. A feeling of acceptance and passion overwhelmed me; goose bumps ran all over my body. Then I entered the “Ben Hill Griffin” football stadium. I have been there many times, but not like this. I was an official student, and entering that stadium, I felt that this was where I belong. Never give up, and your dreams will always come true.


REFLECTION: The images in the PowerPoint show many different emotions and scenery. The words in the narrative describe deeper emotion and a deeper thought process to the main character (me). In the narrative my feelings were more described in detail. The reader can get a sense of my emotions and a deeper understanding of the environment. For example the line “My eyes widened, my hands raised, and my adrenaline shot sky high” describes in depth how I felt in that moment. The visuals only present a frozen emotion. It does not show the sounds in the stadium, or the excitement. The visuals leave the viewer with one answer, but the narrative and the texts go deeper and can elaborate more on a situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment